How to update my student license

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Qiushou, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Hi,

I want to transfer my student license from my old computer to a new one. I recently bought a new desktop with 1080ti to speed up my model training. However, I registered my license on my old laptop last month. How to disable the license on the old computer and activate it on the new one?

Thanks,

2. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

Activation is local and the software does not contact any servers (to avoid privacy concerns), thus there is no way to invalidate an existing activation key. The student license is intentionally limited to a single machine, so that people using the software more extensively would have a reason to purchase the personal non-commercial license (or even better, find a faculty adviser to do it for them). I make exceptions when the registered machine can no longer be used for technical reasons, but if you can afford a new desktop with a 1080ti card, it is difficult to understand why you could not afford a software license.

3. The reason I use Mujoco is that I want to learn the deep reinforcement learning courses by myself. The assignment requires that.

I do not intend to use Mujoco for any other reasons. My laptop has a windows 10. I followed the instruction on your website and installed mujoco 1.3 with tensorflow. It is not working.

I did save some money to buy a 1080ti to help me to train deep learning model, CPU is not working for deep models. But I do not have extra $500 budget. I only need it for 3 course assignments.

4. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

There is a 30-day trial license that allows registration on 3 machines, and is specifically designed to allow people to test various systems and figure out what will work for them longer-term.

I understand that you are taking courses on your own, but you are also paying tuition to the university for those courses, as well as buying hardware and everything else. Having a budget for some things and not others is a matter of priority.

Anyway, send me an email with your account information and I will increase your activation limit so you can register the new machine.

If anyone else is reading this: please use the 30-day trial and think about where you want to use the free student license. I am currently spending unreasonable amounts of time communicating with students who want a second license. This cannot go on for much longer.