Matlab support

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Nihar S Talele, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Hi,
    Is there any estimate on when the hooks for Matlab will be available for MuJoCo?

Thanks,
    -Nihar

Michael J Mathew likes this.
  2. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

Different versions of a MATLAB toolbox for MuJoCo have been used in my research lab for several years now, but I haven't gotten around it cleaning up the code and making it part of the official release. It is currently at the top of the to-do list though. The technical issue holding it back is that on OSX, the GLFW library used to open a window only allows OpenGL initialization from the main thread, and there is no way to tell MATLAB to run a mex from its main thread. The solution is to develop a separate executable for rendering, and connect to it from MATLAB over a pipe. This new executable (code name 'mjplay') will also be useful in other settings. I will get to it as soon as the MuJoCo Pro chapter of the documentation is ready.

3. Ok. Thank You.

-Nihar

4. Hello,

I'm sorry if this MATLAB integration happened already but I couldn't find it anywhere. I am currently using a socket solution to connect MATLAB to MuJoCo for the OpenAI but it is painfully slow. Is there any (even experimental) code to connect to MATLAB with a mex file instead? If the main issue is visualization I am happy to run it headless, as I am doing this anyway.

Thanks,
    adam

5. Emo Todorov

Emo Todorov Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, this ended up having lower priority and is still not finished/released. Hopefully it will be included in MuJoCo 1.60 in about a month.

6. Ok, got it. Looking forward to it!